On Thursday 5th December 2019 University Campus St Albans (UCSA), a leading educational provider for part time degree courses, hosted an evening dinner at Hatfield House. UCSA is a joint venture between the University of Hertfordshire and Oaklands College. The evening was chaired by Pauline Traetto, Hon EdD, Founder and CEO at Reconstructing Minds Ltd.
With the theme of ‘Digitise, Innovate or Die?’ invited guests from the Construction Industry heard the following key speakers give their vision of how the industry is adapting to the challenges facing them to meet the needs of the modern world.
- Joseph Daniels CEO at Etopia
- Mark Doyle CEO at Jarvis
- Bola Abisogun OBE, Director at Diversecity Surveyors
- Richard Davidson, Director at Willmott Dixon
- Professor Quintin McKellar CBE, Vice Chancellor of the University of Hertfordshire and Board member of UCSA
- Stephen Fox, Executive Director at UCSA
The presentations and contact details can be located here
The insights delivered by the key speakers stimulated tremendous energy and enthusiasm, and as a result collaborative initiatives are progressing.
A significant number of construction employers are based in Hertfordshire. The following themes and topics, some particularly pertinent to Hertfordshire, were discussed.
- Large scale regeneration and new town creation
- The requirement for 100,000 new homes to be created by 2031
- The future use of integrated smart technology in new homes
- Sustainable developments that meet the needs and aspirations of local communities
- The future role of quantity surveyors in a fully digitalised environment
- Future skills needs for the sector
UCSA is committed to delivering innovative and employer engaged degrees to people seeking to progress their careers and aims to develop programmes that are relevant to the needs of industry. Since its inception it has played a pivotal role in helping bridge the gap between academia and industry.
The next key step is a Hertfordshire Construction Skills Summit planned for June 2020.
UCSA is currently developing new degree apprenticeships in construction management and construction quantity surveying. To find out more or reserve places for your organisation contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Please see more about our Construction degree here