This programme is distinctive in that it is designed to be offered exclusively as part of the extensive training and career development programme offered through the Builders Merchants Federation (BMF).
The programme has been developed in partnership with the BMF.
Through a process of accrediting prior learning it provides a progression route for managers in the builders and timber merchants sector who have previously been awarded the BMF Diploma in Merchant Management or have at least two years’ experience as a manager.
A Foundation Degree is the equivalent of the first two years of full-time undergraduate study. However, the prior learning accreditation enables the award of a Foundation Degree (FdA) Merchanting Management to be achieved in one year of part-time study.
For students seeking further development the FdA Merchanting Management can lead onto an Honours Degree in Leadership and Professional Development.
- Foundation Degree attained in a year.
- The Foundation Degree is awarded by the University of Hertfordshire.
- Teaching is delivered through blended learning and a mix of bi-monthly 2 day blocks, live webinars, and 24/7 access to the Learning Resources Centre on line.
- Teaching will normally take place at the University of Hertfordshire.
- High level of direct support to help with academic development.
- Full access to the University of Hertfordshire’s outstanding facilities including the Learning Resource Centre (open 24/7); extensive on line resources; the Sports Village, and Master classes.
- The programme gives participants a strong understanding of the business knowledge and skills to succeed within the sector.
- Successful completion of the Foundation Degree will enable direct progression into a range of final year honours business degrees in leadership and management.
- Completion of the Foundation Degree will lead to an additional qualification in Leadership and Management from the Institute of Leadership and Management (ILM).
- Participants will also be provided with membership of the ILM.
Assessment is by coursework, oral presentations, group work, practical reports, critical reviews and end of module exams.
|Sem A||Sem B||Sem C|
|Enhancing the Customer Experience||People & Organisations
||Business Improvement Plan|
|Making Business Work
ACCREDITING PRIOR EXPERIENCE
What is APEL?
The Accreditation of Prior Experiential Learning (APEL) process provides you with the opportunity to have either your Diploma in Merchant Management OR your management experience accredited to the equivalent of the first year of the degree. Many professionals have an extensive range of expertise, skills and knowledge achieved through experiences outside of the formal education and training systems. We have extensive experience in delivering innovative APL courses over the years. The process involves identifying and assessing the learning from your experience by undertaking an online or phone interview, attending a short 2 day course, and compiling a structured portfolio. Tutor support by email, phone or online will also be available. This must be completed prior to commencing the degree.
The programme is subject to the University’s Principles, Policies and Regulations for the Admission of Students to Undergraduate and Taught Postgraduate Programmes. These will take account of University policy and guidelines for assessing accredited prior certificated learning (APCL) and accredited prior experiential learning (APEL).
WHO IS IT FOR?
Managers or Assistant Managers working within the industry who are looking for a programme to equip them with the necessary managerial skills to enhance their careers.
The normal entry requirements for the programme are:
- The applicant’s employer must be a member of the Builders Merchant Federation
- Applicants must have either completed the Diploma in Merchant Management or have at least 2 years’ experience working as a manager in the sector and undertake a recognition of prior learning process with tutor guidance.
On successfully completing this undergraduate course, you’ll be awarded a Foundation Degree. Students will have the opportunity to attend a degree ceremony with the University of Hertfordshire.
WHAT IS THE COST?
Course fees are payable by BMF member for each student they send on the course.
WHAT IS THE TIME COMMITMENT?
Teaching will typically be delivered through block release (2 days every other month). You will also be expected to carry out around 6 hours a week of private study.
WHAT WILL APPEAR ON MY DEGREE CERTIFICATE?
Foundation Degree Merchant Management
Student Membership of the Institute of Leadership and Management
All applications must be approved by the BMF. Apply here.